Jackson Square is a historic neighborhood and the main square of the French Quarter of New Orleans, LA. It is located at the corner of Decatur Street and St. Louis Street. The square was named after President Andrew Jackson; it is bordered on one side by St. Louis Cathedral, whose spire is a prominent feature on the skyline of the French Quarter, and on the other side by St. Peter Street, which is one-way going north.
The Spanish called this space Plaza de Armas; however, it was not until 1831 that the site was named in honor of President Andrew Jackson. In earlier years, it served as a parade ground for military troops as well as an open market area for vendors (or “carpetbaggers” as they were pejoratively called).
Jackson Square is widely known today as a tourist attraction and an important landmark in New Orleans with many notable buildings and attractions around it.
Jackson Square is a historic park in the French Quarter of New Orleans, Louisiana. It was designed by landscape architect Adolphe Alphand and completed in 1851 as the focal point of the city. The square initially featured a large equestrian statue of Andrew Jackson atop a tall column, which now stands at the center of the Place des Hommes-Champs.
Today, there are 33 statues, busts, and plaques on permanent display around Jackson Square, and more than a dozen additional pieces are placed around it during the year for limited periods.
The square is also noted for its architecture. The Cabildo and Presbytere, which flank the eastern side of the park, were designed by architect Henry Howard and built between 1795 and 1803. The western side features Saint Louis Cathedral (the oldest cathedral in the United States) and its adjacent churchyard, both designed by François-Louis Perrault between 1794 and 1813. The area is also notable for its wide brick sidewalks, narrow (8 ft 6 in or 2.59 m) Italianate lanes (called “trottoirs” in New Orleans), and outdoor café dining with tableside service; all these contribute to Jackson Square’s lively atmosphere.
In 1822 Jackson Square was named for its central feature—an equestrian statue of Andrew Jackson erected by the City of New Orleans to commemorate his victory at the Battle of New Orleans in 1815. The square was designed by architect Henry Howard and officially opened in 1851. In 1856 a yellow fever epidemic resulted in many deaths around the square and led to its official designation as a public health area.