The Los Rios Street Historic District near San Juan Capistrano, is a collection of houses built from 1794 to 1915. Located on a street that was the main route between the Mission San Juan Capistrano and the town of Los Angeles, the houses reflect the architectural styles of their eras. The district includes both private homes and those used by business owners.
The historic district is bounded by Camino Capistrano on the north, Del Obispo Street on the south, S. El Molino Avenue on the east and N. Grand Avenue on the west. Many of the homes have been restored or renovated over the years, but many still retain their original character.
The area became an important stop for travelers in 1794 when Calvary Road was built to connect Mission San Juan Capistrano with Mission San Gabriel Arcángel near present-day downtown Los Angeles. In 1822, Camino Real — a road that followed an existing Native American route and connected all Spanish missions — was constructed along Calvary Road to connect with El Camino Real that led from Mexico to San Francisco. In 1841, when San Juan Capistrano was named the county seat, travel increased along Camino Real.
The Los Rios Street Historic District is a rare residential neighborhood in the coastal city of San Juan Capistrano. Located on the western edge of downtown, the area is distinguished by its homes, which were built between 1908 and 1925 for the city’s most prominent citizens. The area was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976 and is home to many unique architectural styles.
The Los Rios Street Historic District is located in the heart of San Juan Capistrano, Orange County, California and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This historic district is a popular tourist destination, especially during the holiday season.
The historic district consists of several blocks along Los Rios Street that was once the center of commerce in San Juan Capistrano. Businesses have been located on this street since the city’s founding in 1776.
The most notable buildings in this area are St. Joseph’s Church, built-in 1808, and the historic Butterfield Stage Station, which was constructed in 1856 and is now used as a museum. Over 150 homes and commercial buildings are included in this historic district. The Los Rios Street Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on October 11, 1978.